Spring Hill History Day
Saturday, June 17, 2023
RAIN or SHINE
These historic sites will open from 9am to 4pm. Tickets $10 covers admission to all sites.
Proceeds shared equally between four nonprofit organizations marked with an asterisk*.
All sites are located within the Spring Hill Historic District.
Advance tickets available:
Titcomb's Bookshop Rt 6A
Scenic Roots Garden Center Rt 6A
Green Briar Nature Center, Discovery Hill
Online at thorntonburgess.org
On June 17th tickets will be on sale, cash only, at Green Briar Nature Center, Wing Memorial History Center and Friends Meeting House from 9am to 3pm. Restrooms are available at Green Briar Nature Center and the Friends Meeting House.
Strawberry Day today! Thornton Burgess Society
*Green Briar Nature Center & Jam Kitchen
6 Discovery Hill
30 parking spaces available (partial handicap access)
A sweet destination since 1903! Remembering jam founder Ida Putnam and the wildflowers of Shirley Cross. Staff will share history, kitchen, pond and gar-dens, all the inspiration for author, Thornton Burgess.
Shirley Cross House (circa 1761 Nye House)
10 Spring Hill Road
Botanist Dr. Shirley Cross created the wildflower
gardens at Green Briar Nature Center & Jam Kitchen, and lived in this home with her husband, Chet, and children for many years. Today her son Tim and wife Susan live here after completing major renovations.
14 Spring Hill Road
A woodland walk on Spring Hill Road, managed by trustees of the *Sandwich Conservation Trust. Steve Touloumtzis will be on hand as guide.
*Wing Fort House
63 Spring Hill Road
7 parking spaces available
This circa 1641 house is one of the oldest on Cape Cod and generally agreed to be the oldest house in New England still owned by the original family, *The Wing Family of America. Caretaker and historian, Dave Wheelock, will be on hand for tours.
*Wing Memorial History Center
62 Spring Hill Road
Also owned by the Wing Family of America, this newly opened museum is dedicated to sharing the stories of the Wing Family as it grew and migrated across the U.S. Featured exhibits include Simon Wing Photography & The Whaling Wings. Handicap accessible.
Juniper Hill Pond
A spring fed pond on Juniper Hill Road still presides
near the top of Spring Hill.
The Blueberry Bog
93 Spring Hill Road
6 parking spaces available
Originally a cranberry bog, the crop in this 2 ½ acreplot was changed to highbush blueberries after WWII. Steve Touloumtzis and Sally Winings have taken care of 475 blueberry bushes on their pick-your-own farm since 1984. Sally will be there to show you around.
Quaker Road (off Spring Hill Road)
Taking a short walk down Quaker Road is a walk into the past. This small section of the Old King's Highway probably looks much like it did a century ago.
*East Sandwich Friends Meeting House & Cemetery
1 Quaker Road
15 parking spaces available
This handsome building was erected in 1810 and houses what is considered the oldest continuously worshiping group of Friends in America. The meeting house was restored in 2021 with preservation funds from the Town of Sandwich. Friends will be there to answer questions and serve lemonade. Handicap accessible.
Niilo Ahohen House
18 Quaker Road
Built in the 1930s by Niilo Ahohen, whose family owned most of Quaker Road. Owners Randy Harelson and Richard Gibbs will share their garden and serve iced tea.
Clark Hoxie House
22 Quaker Road
This 1752 house built by Clark Hoxie sits on 7 acres purchased from Judah Allen, one of the first Quakers with extensive holdings on Spring Hill. The first Quaker burial ground is located on the property. Owners Joe & Bernice Wahler will give tours of the modernized home and farm fields with views of the outer Cape.